Sunday, February 12, 2012

But isn't happiness our natural state?

Like everything else in my life, this blog is unplanned. I rarely think of things to write about. They are almost always expressions of some overpowering thought needing a vent. My last post here was written on completing a year in my job. And the very same thought has been keeping me busy for almost a year! Strange but true. Whenever my mind is idle, it turns to the subject like a cow regurgitating its food to chew during moments of leisure.

But my treatment of it has become a little more mature. Like the prayer that says, "Give me the power to change things that I can, and the wisdom to accept those I cannot". Work is now no more very bothersome. In fact,it is the break that I take between doing things I like to do! And for that I have to thank my stars and office a gazillion times!

I have been coming home to something every single day: some days its the books I have read and re-read countless times: Harry Potter, Ponniyin Selvan or Gone with the wind. Some days its the new ones : The Kingkiller Chronicles (Very highly recommended for fans of fantasy), Thiruvarangan Ula, Made in America. Some other day its a movie I have downloaded in the morning (I alone have been using up 30 GB every month ;) ) or a series I have taken a strong liking to. Other day its some article on photography I had bookmarked in the morning or a scheduled show on NatGeo Wild. So, when I leave for work, I know exactly what I am going to do that night. And that keeps me insanely happy for the entire day (so much for calling myself unplanned, but yeah, if you prefer, I guess I am a very short term planner). There is some strange and positive energy thrumming within, all day, idling only during office hours ;)

I do wonder if there is any medical condition which is the exact opposite of clinical depression. But if there is, I am sure it needs to go untreated! A small voice keeps telling me that I am a misanthrope, who revels in living so much by myself, but I am sure I am not that. I have a family and a friends' circle that I love a lot, so in the steps towards self-actualization, realizing why I am so happy should be the next step :D

4 comments:

SV said...

Hey good to see you writing again. Never heard of this "Thiruvarangan Ula". Just Googled it after reading your blog. Very interesting! I love Trichy for all the temples and pleasant feel they give. Visited Srirangam last month and was fascinated as ever by the scale and richness of the temple. Several years back there was a pious gentleman there who told the story of how there is a connection between bhoolokam and vaikuntam via this temple. In a sincere tone he told how Ranganatha Swamy travels between bhoo and vaikuntam etc etc. The story and the temple's mystic air makes me reminisce this story with awe even now.

Will try and get my hands on this book ASAP. Thanks for the mention!

Restive Mind said...

Sure! Its not a masterpiece, but definitely evokes very strong feelings in me.Let me know how you like it. Btw,the author owns the publishing house. If you have difficulty finding it in a shop, let me know.I will give you the publisher's address.

SV said...

I will try some shops that stock Tamil books in Pondicherry. If I don't get there, I will take the address from you.

Hummingbird said...

Sairam!

Extremely important topic and would respond in leisure.

A crude/quick response :

Experts say, removal of ignorance will be Gyana and happiness is our natural state. Sri Ramakrishna says that when we light a lamp, instantly the darkness goes. In the same way, the moment ignorance goes, we are in an enlightened state. In life, we carry with us many experiences (and learnings). At times, our interpretation(s) of these experiences may lead us toward a particular course of action in future. The end result may or may not be right and would in turn be influenced not only by our methods/responses but also the changed situation prevailing at that point in time.

I am delighted to know that "Work is now no more very bothersome. In fact,it is the break that I take between doing things I like to do!". Not every one can say this.

Your reference to Ponniyin Selvan takes me back in age by atleast 2 decades. Unforgettable work. Azhwarkku Adiyan Nambi and Vallavaraiyan Vandhiya Devan, so also Kundavai Piratti. A fabulous woman if I can say - someone who takes pride in Raja Raja's rise, remains firmly behind the throne (or behind the scenes) and yet keeps a close tab on the happenings. The great Azhwan and his face on the "madhil suvar" ... you have taken me down my school days...

I don't think you are a misanthrope. You are an intellectually superior person.. yet your humility makes you feel a misanthrope.

For your young age, this topic is too heavy. But then you are extremely intelligent and insightful and this gives you an insight into many areas.

Made this old man think a bit, made him nostalgic too, about an age which won't come back.

Superb post.