Saturday, October 18, 2008

To Bombay, With Love

The semester is coming to a close and this is to everything I have given up for it!
This is to those good days at work
The bad lunch and a fruit plate
The cheap, sweet tea
The tons of gossip to go along with it
The dingy apartment
My dirty bed without a cover
Books with yellow pages and faded prints
My laundry bag full of CAT material
Far yet close room mates
The late mornings
My love affair with The Times of India
Long baths with loud 9XM
Expensive deoderants
The leisurely Saturdays
Juhu's clay and calmness
Corn and groundnuts
Little Italy and New Yorker
The mystic ISKCON
PVR and Crosswords
Our own Bombay Blues Thali
Goodluck's upma
Fat Wallet
Breathtaking Bandstand
Tawdry bric-a-bracs
Sweaty locals
Stolen rides on the first class
Paan Spit and Pirated CDs
Wada Pav and autorickshaws
Shopper's stop n FabIndia
Mochas and Subway
Impulsive purchases
100 Rupees t-shirts
The 200 auto-fare on them
Rare visits to South Bombay
Wanderings along the Causeway
Second hand book stores
Fast food next to the urinals
Magnificent theatres
Concerts and Pop shows
Ogling at the mischievous couples
With a sigh of longing and a relief of staying clear
Occasional crushes in office
Of them moving on
And me too...
The monstrous city
Its neon flashes
Incessant rains
Wet dupattas on my chair handle
Night stays with friends
Oshiwara
Ahura Centre
Wet afternoons & Curd rice
DDLJ and K3G
Radio Mirchi and Red FM
Love Guru
Monthly drama for paying rent
Cold conference rooms

The feel of the I-card around my neck
Dirty puppies
Myself
Life..
What was and What is.



11 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike said...

Hi,
Your posts are really good.
Back in Jai, I din know this creative aspect of yours.
ok then, awaiting more interesting posts.

Ruchika said...

You made me nostalgic :(

Restive Mind said...

@ Michael, hey I cant make out if you are from MNIT! Disclose urself :D !!

@Ruchika: Hey u r having a good time thr! Soon u d feel pretty much the same way abt California too :) !

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike said...

Hi,
oops..almost did it in the prev one.
Sorry..can't do that now. Well,you see..maybe that's why I chose to comment incognito. mnit it is. Not one among them choms is wat i can say for now ... :D

Restive Mind said...

Well Mr. Incognito , hope I ll get to know who u r after a few more interesting posts ;) ! Keep dropping in :)

Impressionist said...

that was really good!
and I shud say thats quite a long list u have mentioned there!

-I

Unknown said...

that was a cute post :) nanna ezhudare sudhi.. :)

Amit Thakkar said...

this is awesomeeeeeeeeeeeee !!! :) So well written... :)

Hummingbird said...

Superb.

God has been very kind. I didn't have to stay in a dingy apartment though we did (and do stay in a small) apartment. Agree with the mystic ISKCON though I should say that I have visited Delhi ISKCON far more than Juhu ISKCON. I am yet to visit the Bangalore ISKCON which I'm told is great. I agree on the sweaty locals though I have never experimented with stolen rides on the first class or second class. All of what you say is true though I have lived too compliant a life! :)

All in all, a superb post.