Friday, March 9, 2007

Women's day !!!

Hmm..Yesterday was women's day..
What did it mean to me??

Nothing. Perhaps the sad reality that every year we have to raise our voice and make a lot of noise to remind everyone that we still have a long way to go...

Average wage of a female worker in rural areas = 62% of that of a male worker's .
Average wage of a female worker in urban areas = 61% of that of a male worker's.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand why I have given this here.

If I ask you genuinely why is it so, then I am branded a feminist.

I should not ask anyone why I cannot go to Sabarimala.
Or why I should not remain unmarried and study as much as I want to.
Or why my parents alone should spend their life time savings on the mega event of my marriage.
Or why I should take care of my parents in law when my husband would not even raise a finger to look after his.
Or why hostels lock up girls inside because the guys roam about drunk? Why not the vice versa?
Or the simple question of why I should cook and clean while my husband reads newspaper?

Rarely, very rarely you might come across men who do cook and clean. And when you do meet such a man, you have to treat him with extreme reverence.He is God's gift to the earth!!!! After all, who has heard of men who clean the dining table after the meal? They deserve all the praise and even more.

He does these at home; Wow !His wife is the luckiest.
He does not ; That's ok. Its enough if he does not have any bad habit (even tobacco!!)
She does ; Huh ! Whats the big deal? Everyone does.
She does not; She is the talk of the town. Too much freedom given by parents. And did I mention too much education also ?

Well, if you dont hear this dialogues, its not because society has become forward minded. After all, these girls will start talking Feminism and no one has the time or the patience to listen. They all need a break.We have had too much of feminism this century!! Huh!

Amitabh Bachchan (You are right.The same Big B.) was asked in an interview what he thought about his daughter-in-law-to-be Aishwarya Rai. Amitabh promptly replied, "I find her very sweet, simple and domesticated." Yes. You heard it right. Domesticated was the word.

I very much like to give Amitabh the benefit of my doubt that probably he chose a wrong word to convey what he wanted to. But two lines later, there was a question ' How do you think Abiash marriage will increase the brand value of the Bachchans? ' for which he promptly replied, 'I find it very offensive to evaluate a relationship with money.' .Wah Mr.Bachchan! Wah! He did not find it offensive to use the word domesticated but the word brand value offended him..Superb. From A to Z every household wants a 'domesticated' and 'docile' daughter in law.Who will not split the bonds of the family she is entering. Never mind, she was just torn apart from her family to become a part of yours..

I recall a poem I read somewhere :

We use you as a prop, we use you for our play;
We burn you regularly; for dowry they say;
We make you a Goddess; or a cheap lay;
We keep 364; You get one day;
Happy Women's Day ????

8 comments:

Sandeep Sundaram said...

hey nice post buddy .........
just loved reading it..
harsh realities

S. said...

man....u must have been in a real foul mood wen u wrote this!!

..had some fight over this with someone??

:P

good points jotted down..shows how much a thinking-person u are..

:)

gud work..

Amandeep Singh said...

Thats really well written there...I really agree with you with that..

All this and name one day for them..ya its sick!

Restive Mind said...

@Devil , Thank u for the comment and regular visits :)

@Intel Inside , No intel, I dint fight with anyone over this. But yeah, the mood was real bad seeing how the newspapers were treating the day, falsely glorifying the status of women in India.

@standbymind, thanks again :)

@all, I thought I would face real arguments with guys who read this!!!

Jo said...

hey really a gud one....rather shud say pretty movin....keep writing boss!!:)

Unknown said...

jus one word...ossum!!!

Varadarajan.R said...

nice post.. but people should stop talking and start working!!
unless we work nothing is going to improve..

Hummingbird said...

Sairam! Moved to tears reading this post. Factually correct. Would e-mail my detailed response later.

What we see today shouldn't guide us. Our reverence is to Paraasakthi. Our reverence is to The Holy Mother. Distortions of modern India shouldn't discourage us. We all have a choice - we can change ourselves and guide our children to be different from the crowd. That would be our contribution to building a new Society.

ஓமென் றுரைத்தனர் தேவர்; -- ஓம்
ஓமென்று சொல்லி உறுமிற்று வானம்.
பூமி யதிர்ச்சி உண்டாச்சு. -- விண்ணைப்
பூழிப் படுத்திய தாஞ்சுழற் காற்று.
சாமி தருமன் புவிக்கே -- என்று
சாட்சி யுரைத்தன பூதங்க ளைந்தும்.
All these happened after Panchaali's Sapatham. Such is the power of a woman. She is not a doormat. She is Mahasakthi.